Pushing that PUBLISH button is a big moment, and your life is different – for better or worse – from that moment on.
Writers need to get over the fear of publishing.
I was lucky, I started by writing family humor essays and my stuff was out there for a years on Facebook where friends read it and enjoyed it and shared it with strangers and encouraged me, so I knew what was funny and how to hook readers and how to get an audience to cry before I ever sat down to create a book. Still, pushing that PUBLISH button is a big moment, and your life is different – for better or worse – from that moment on.
I know each new story is better than the last one and believe it will be well received, but getting past that initial fear, worrying that I was about to humiliate myself, was hard for me and is hard for most writers.
What I can tell you is DO IT.
Publish book one and get book two out as soon as possible. There are very few Harper Lee’s. Most of us are going to have to write a few books to get good at it.
Here are the FOUR most important things every aspiring author needs to know:
- Don’t polish it forever, put it out there.
- At some point the changes aren’t improvements, they’re just changes.
- Believe in yourself and start achieving your dream. It waits for you on the other side of the publish button.
- Mobs do not show up with pitchforks and torches if your book is bad, and odds are you didn’t write something bad.
- From an interview with Cathleen Townsend in her blog The Beauty Of Words when she asked me “What has been the hardest thing about publishing for you?”
When chasing after your story, KEEP AFTER IT!
REBLOG me! Or SHARE this post on Facebook and Twitter! See those little buttons down below? Put on your glasses. There they are. Click them. The FOLLOW button is now in the lower right hand corner.
Got a QUESTION? ASK IT! Hit the Contact Me button and I’ll see what I can do. (I have lots of smart friends.)
Dan Alatorre is the author of several bestsellers and the hilarious upcoming novel “Poggibonsi: an italian misadventure.” Click HERE to check out his other works.