This is our last emotion one for a while, and this one is difficult – but not for the reason you think. Making a character vulnerable tends to endear them to the reader. Embarrassing them does that BIG TIME. Empathy works wonders. It’s how I got through grad school. But that’s a different story…
What has embarrassed you in the past?
What embarrasses other people – since they’ll be the ones reading it?
Connecting with an audience – sharing similar experiences – makes your characters and your story close to their heart and unforgettable. Allegedly. Let’s see how good a job we do and I’ll let you know.
No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.
Same thing applies here.
Here’s your random character generator
THIS is the poor sucker you will be embarrassing or show being embarrassed in a manner of your choosing, you sadist.
Here’s the list of setting the poor sap will be in. Use a random number HERE generator to see which you’ll be working in this time.
- First day at school
- First day at work
- On a date
- On a bus
- In an elevator
- On an icy sidewalk
- In a parking lot
- At your/the character’s mother’s house
- At a restaurant
- While paying the dinner check or at a store cash register
Make us all DIE with him/her at their WORST MOMENT.
NO CHEATING! One spin of the wheel of fate for your character!
(Your Pulitzer Prize awaits. Don’t blow it.)
You know the drill:
- Use the Random Generators to pick your character and setting
- Write a story up to 500 words that is obviously written using both the character, setting and emotion.
- Post your story below in the comments with a link to your blog where
- You also post it on you blog (No blog? Just copy paste the whole thing here.)
- And mention what the heck this is so people don’t think you’ve gone schizo
- Read and comment on OTHER people’s entries. That makes it fun. Allegedly.
- You have one week. Noon Friday a week from this posting date (sunny, warm Tampa, Florida, USA time)
Get after it!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY FREE NEWSLETTER! Get a FREE copy of “25 Great eBook Marketing Tips You Wish You Knew,” FIRST SHOT at new stories, and exclusive behind the scenes access!
Dan Alatorre is the author of several bestsellers and the hilarious upcoming novel “Poggibonsi: an italian misadventure.” Click HERE to check out his other works