We’ve been having a Young Authors Camp at my house this week, and during the day we usually have two different writing prompts that the young authors write a short story from.
As a project, they had to come up with writing prompts;
the next day, they had to use one of the prompts they created.
Here’s what they came up with:
- You are locked up somewhere and you need to get out. You are chained to a wall or locked in a room.
- An adventure takes place on a secret island; what do you see there?
- Write a story about an animal you would like to shape shift to
- A knight tries to fight a dragon but the dragon does not want to fight back
- An assassin is hired to kill someone you love and you must decide whether or not to kill the assassin.
- Any animal or any creature can talk but only to you.
- A magical orb falls from space and grants you special abilities.
- Four dragon babies were separated from their mother and they must be returned – or else.
- A scary noise in the next room – I don’t know what it is, but it sounds bad.
- You go to the pet store and you see something cool. You buy it, but it is hard to take care of.
- A superhero is dying because of… something.
I liked the list and refined it into a few faves that we used (ten was too many).
- You go to a friend’s house for a sleepover. You wake up in the middle of the night; your friend is gone, you are in a different house, and it is guarded by a dragon.
- On the first day at a new school, you accidentally discover your teacher is secretly a monster.
- On a vacation, you take sailing lessons. A storm comes and blows you away to a secret island where find an animal or any creature that can talk but only to you.