It never hurts to get a reminder like this.
We all have crutch words. I say, write what ya gotta write, THEN go swap out your repeats and crutches when you’re finished. Here are some to watch out for.
Here is my list of words to avoid when writing with an explanation for each about alternatives and / or why. I don’t want to turn this into a thesaurus, we have a bounty of applications that can do a much better job, but I have popped some alternatives in where it helps to explain the point.
I make a pass through my manuscript for each of these words / phrases, and explore each one. There are generally 4 options:
- Leave it
- Remove it
- Replace it with a more specific word
- Rework the sentence
Master list of words / phrases to avoid
- A lot of – Alt. Many.
- Across – Overused word. If it is movement, consider how to better show movement.
- All – Overused word. Alt. Each, copious.
- Almost, always, already, anymore – Check each one, they are often redundant and can be removed.
- Came, came to – Alt. Arrived.
View original post 292 more words