We all hate something (heck, I hate lots of stuff), but when we are writing, how do we describe that in a character? How do we show that?
Well, you’re about to find out.
This week, take a random character from the random character generator and put them into a 500 word scene where HATE is evident.
Maybe your character hates somebody.
Maybe somebody hates your character.
Maybe the character’s kid hates green beans. And then you fight every freaking lunchtime about it for, oh, say five years! FIVE YEARS. That’s time I’m not getting back, people. And it’s not like she loves carrots, either. Or broccoli. Or squash. No, THAT would all be toooooo easy.
Okay, where was I?
Oh, yeah. HATE.
Well, you get the idea, I think. Here’s your random character generator
And HERE are your setting options. Your character is on:
- A boat
- A mountain
- A bus
- An airplane
- A helicopter
- A horse
- A subway
- A rooftop
- A Ferris wheel
- top of a dead woman (even I don’t know what I mean with this one.)
Hit the random number generator and see what setting your get for your character! (Set a range first. 1-10.)
Tricky, eh? Yeah. Just enough to be difficult without becoming really restraining. I think.
Oh, and when we’re finished – as in, when everybody posts a story involving hate – we’ll ALL have a nice big bucket of paint we can dip into whenever the need arises and hate is called for. So be creative. Broccoli’s been done. Go in a non-vegetable direction. And no cats; too easy.
Kill somebody if you have to, though.
Show me the HATE.
I’m pretty sure this is how Hemingway got his start.
NO CHEATING! One spin of the wheel of fate for your character, and for your setting.
You know the drill:
- Use the Random Character Generator to pick your character and the Random Number Generator to pick your “setting.”
- Write a 500 word story that obviously uses both the character and setting. (It can be a little more than 500 if you need it.)
- Post your story below in the comments with a link to your blog, where you also
- Post it on you blog (No blog? Just copy paste the whole thing here.)
- And mention me/this blog and what the heck this is so people don’t think you’ve gone schizo
- Read and comment on OTHER people’s entries. That makes it fun. Allegedly.
- You have one week. Noon Friday a week from this posting date (sunny, warm Tampa, Florida, USA time) Although the time doesn’t really count. You can be late.
Get after it!
P.S., If YOU have an idea for a writing challenge, let me know! Some of you have been in some good ones before and we can change ’em up to be fun here. Tell me in a comment or use the Contact Me button.
REBLOG me! Or SHARE this post on Facebook and Twitter! See those little buttons down below? Put on your glasses. There they are. Click them. The FOLLOW button is now in the lower right hand corner.
Got a QUESTION? ASK IT! Hit the Contact Me button and I’ll see what I can do. (I have lots of smart friends.)
Dan Alatorre is the author of several bestsellers and the hilarious upcoming novel “Poggibonsi: an italian misadventure.” Click HERE to check out his other works.