It’s that time again, when we seek out new ways to challenge our writing muscles and have some fun in the process.
Today’s Flash Fiction Challenge involves a bit of mental endurance. Probably.
We need great characters to make great stories. PLOT is just a vehicle for the characters in our heads to come out and play. Characters are what makes a story awesome.
Now, if the characters just sit around, that’s gonna suck, too, but trust me, even with a great plot, if readers don’t like/identify with/enjoy your characters, your story is going nowhere.
That’s why I’ve decided to create some interesting character types and YOU get to create them.
Using the info below in the list, write up to 1000 words and make the identified character a part of the world.
Yes, YOU get to play God. Kind of.
Here’s the list :
- A vicious duchess who has taken over the country with a powerful artifact.
- A talkative fire elemental that appears as a woman.
- A monster who lives in the closet in a converted barn.
- A hot-headed cyborg
- A happy-go-lucky, gorgeous man with the knowledge to save the world
- A sassy, striking old woman with a body in the closet and a lust for power who comes from a primitive world
- A homely old woman with a strange hat and a love for good food is looking for a place to stay.
- A dentist hiding her short term memory disorder
- A calculating male werewolf.
- A flirty, ordinary-looking teenager with a wheelchair
- A sadistic alien sorcerer who commands an army of enhanced soldiers but is somewhat short-sighted.
- A short-tempered, fine-featured young adult with a strange lamp
Here’s the setting:
A western. With a cat or several cats.
Yeah, I said it. Cats.
Think True Grit. John Wayne’s not True Grit, that dopey remake with The Dude. Even though Glenn Campbell was in it, the original still ROCKED. Note to Hollywood: no more remakes. They suck.
Not a cat fan or western lover? Me, neither. Hey, go off on your own direction, then. Cat people were upset when I excluded them last week so I’m making up for it. Probably. I may have just been drunk. Cat Western. Seemed hilarious at the time. Right, Allison?
Okay, where were we? Oh, yeah. The Rules. And an ad for my book.
The Navigators $2.99, FREE with Kindle Unlimited. Click HERE to get your copy!
- You write 1000 words more or less on the topic
- Post it on your blog
- No blog? Post it below in the comments section
- Reference us on your blog and this challenge so your regular readers don’t think you’ve gone over the edge.
- Post the link to your story here in the comments section.
- You have until Friday, one week from today, at 12 noon EST, that’s Tampa Florida US of A time, for those of you who live elsewhere.
Come up with something good, but remember time flies. Be sure to get your entry in before the deadline, Jenny!
Be sure to reblog this so your readers know what you’re up to, and invite as many people to play as you want. It’s all in good fun.
Okay, get to it!
Dan Alatorre is the author of several bestsellers and the amazingly great sci fi action thriller “The Navigators.” Click HERE to get your copy of The Navigators – FREE on Kindle Unlimited!