PREORDER international bestselling author Dan Alatorre’s amazing sci-fi thriller The Navigators today for just $0.99. The price increases on its release date July 1 to $2.99. Click HERE and order NOW!
Every author, published or not, should have a media platform. That helps you share your brand and writing with the world. Video is just one more way, and more ways to be found is better.
For example, on the video show Writers Off Task With Friends we are trying to help authors get noticed, and right now ANY new author, published or not, can ask to be interviewed.
- Because a large part of our audience appeal is to people who want to write a book. It makes sense to talk to talented people in the middle of that struggle.
(But almost ALL bloggers and vloggers and video shows need content, and you can help provide them with that.)
2. Or, if you have a book out, come talk to us about it. We’ll be nice. Probably.
(BTW, Just about every one of these blue hyperlinks takes you to another lesson about that topic, so there’s a LOT to learn in this post.)
This is true again of everyone else. They need content, and you can provide it.
3. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world. You want to be on that.
A short, snappy video of you talking about your work makes for easy marketing.
A video show about authors, FEATURING YOU, is an even easier way to do it.
But… but that requires talking to… PEOPLE!
No, no, no. Okay, yes, but not really. On our show, you’ll be talking to me – come on, we’re practically old friends – and Allison and Jenny. You know us. And we aren’t coming over to the house; you’ll be on your computer, in your happy place, all nice and safe. On other shows, the host will make you feel relaxed. All video, even a cell phone video, can load to YouTube and gets its own link.
- Post the link to your show on your personal Facebook page. Talk it up like it’s a big deal (it kinda is) and your friends will watch it. Ask how they think you did. If they comment, ask them to share it on their page.
- If you have a Facebook author page (Why Do You Need A Facebook Author Page? Click HERE), post the link there as well. These are fans more than friends, and they may appreciate insights you share. Mention one or two highlights that may interest your base. Again, if they comment, THANK THEM for their kind words and see if they’ll share the post on their personal Facebook page. Many will. That’s additional exposure for you. You don’t have fans? Well, it starts with one. Have something there for them when they arrive.
- Tweet the link with a comment and a popular hashtag. Think of several tweets that reflect the message you want to say and post them throughout the day, and once a day afterwards for a week. Not everybody’s on Twitter at the same time.
- Reblog it, or link it to your blog. If you had fun, say so. (You will.) Blog readers will enjoy seeing additional sides of you as demonstrated via your conversations with Dan, Jenny and Allison. Be sure to reply to any comments your readers make, and if they are authors, encourage them to contact us to appear. Better yet, reach out to us on their behalf; that makes you a go-to for asset and builds your value to them.
- If you are on Amazon, you can post videos. Use your show link there so potential readers can see you different ways while shopping. The longer they spend on your Amazon author page, the more likely they are to buy. That’s a good thing.
- ABSOLUTELY post the link on your Goodreads author page. This is a unique way for readers to find you and learn about you.
Pinterest, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Instagram, BookBub, etc. Post the link to your show in each of these places and any other social media you use. It only takes a few minutes but it will be there working for you forever, so it’s well worth it.
If you use a mailing list, be sure to send it out as yet another way to stay in front of your audience.
If you don’t have a mailing list, email it to your friends.
If you have a friend who does have a mailing list, ask them to send the show link out for you. They probably need excuses to send content out to their readers lest they become forgotten, and if they are your friend they’ll like helping out. Plus, it carries weight when somebody says, “Hey, check out my author friend on this video show they did!” (Introduce the friend with the list to us to be a guest in exchange for sending your link out.)
These are just a few ways to get you out there. The video will be tagged with your name and or your book title so it will become more searchable by more people – since YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world.
Be sure to contact us when you have a new book release you want to promote, and tell your author friends how nice we are. Odds are they need promotion, too, even if you don’t think they do. Because we all do.
Be a guest on our show! You’ll love it! Probably.
Dan, Allison and Jenny
Hosts of Writers Off Task With Friends