I have a few friends who enter writing contests (for examples, click HERE and HERE.) I have other friends who enter contests, too, but if you co-host a video show with me, like Jenny and Allison do, I tend to mention ones you did.
I think I may have entered a contest before, I don’t really know. I do know I entered something… and started a fight… and blew up my Twitter account – but that was different. I blew it up over a freaking Sea World pic I posted, too – of my kid with a dolphin. Twitter. Sheesh.
Anyway, I was thinking…
a real writing contest might be fun.
Also, my friends win money at these things. I think second place was like $25, so maybe first place was $50. Probably third place was, I don’t know – ten bucks?
That’s about $85.
I have that.
And they paid to enter the contest. So if I charged $5 and got, what, 17 people to enter, I could give out prizes and break even. (Or charge ten bucks and get fewer people, or give the leftover money to charity.) That’s not bad, for a $50 prize.
Oh, and it’d be a legit contest. I’d pick a topics and give you a week or two to write an essay showcasing your amazing writing skills. The submissions would actually get read. We do that anyway, with our Flash Fiction Challenges – so why not? The topics would vary. Paranormal one time, Romance the next.
Then you get to say you won the such and such award.
Hmm… we’d need a name. Something cool, too, not “The Dan Award” – although that does have a ring to it.
A logo? Probably. Maybe Rachael Ritchie can come up with something. But everyone’s invited to make suggestions.
So we need a logo and a name. What about The Sunshine Independent Authors Award For Fine Writing?
That’s… a little long.
The Sunshine Independent Author Award?
We would invite everybody, not just indies… but that could still work.
Okay, so we gotta work on all that.
Here’s where you come in.
- Do we do this at all? (You can say No. I can go right back to being lazy.)
- We need a name for the award. List you suggestions and LIKE whichever ones you think are best. You can suggest as many as you want.
- We need a logo. Artsy folks, feel free to send me something; non-artsy folks, this may not be your game, but tell us what you have in mind.
- What should the fee be? I’ll pay out 100% of whatever we take in, so if we make $100 we’ll give it all away. Should we give it to a charity, too? When you entered a contest, where did the money go? I’m not sure a charity getting involved helps. Who’d want to be associated with me anyway? I tend to speak off the cuff and embarrass folks. Charities tend to not like that stuff.
- JUDGES. Ha, you though this as gonna be easy, huh? Well I’d like at least 2 other people to sit in and read submissions if we get more than ten. Each of us can read 1/3, select our best ones, and the panel will decide the winner based on an elaborate point system or something. Probably I’ll be able to read them all, but just in case, let me know if you’d like to judge. That doesn’t mean you can’t submit, by the way. You won’t judge your own essay, though. No sneaky stuff.
Okay, that’s it. Once we decide a name and stuff, we’ll decide when to have this soiree and get it rolling! Maybe we’d have one a month, or one every three months, who knows?
Give me your thoughts on all this!